MAYOR'S OFFICE HOSTS LOCAL ELECTRONICS RECYCLING DRIVE
Mayor’s Office of Sustainability has joined CompuCycle’s WhatIF ™ Campaign for a Downtown E-Cycle Drive benefiting Easter Seals Greater Houston
October 29, 2012 -- In response to an evergrowing concern with electronic waste, the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability has partnered with CompuCycle for a local E-Cycle drive. Each year it’s estimated that 3,000,000 tons of e-waste are dumped in America and more than 80% of it is being placed in landfills. Join the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability between October 30th-November 8th for a free and safe way to dispose of your household electronics.
This drive is part of the larger WhatIF™ Campaign, a 60-day socially responsible community initiative with a mission to collect and recycle 500,000 pounds of electronic waste, in order to create jobs for Houstonians living with a disability. The donations of electronic waste benefit Easter Seals Greater Houston by allowing them to create a sustainable job training program with CompuCycle, an R2 and ISO Certified company who will employ people living with a disability.
“We are always looking for ways to expand Houstonians' access to recycling, including electronics recyling,” said Laura Spanjian, Mayor's Sustainability Director. “The WhatIF™ Campaign is an exciting opportunity, and we hope the community and our employees will participate during this drive.”
The Mayor’s Office of Sustainability will host several public sites for the community to drop their electronic waste. All electronic devices brought for recycling will be safely and properly recycled by CompuCycle. To participate in the drive bring your electronics to one of the following sites:
- October 30th-November 1st at 1002 Washington
- October 30th-November 1st in the City Hall Annex basement at 900 Bagby
- October 31st at the City Hall Farmer’s Market located at 901 Bagby from 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
- November 6th-8th at the Health Dept. Headquarters at 8000 North Stadium 77054 on the 2nd level of the parking garage from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- November 6th-8th at Environmental Health Admin. Building at 7411 Park Place 77087
- November 6th-8th at Acres Homes MSC at 6719 W. Montgomery 77091
- November 6th-8th at Southwest MSC at 6400 High Star 77074
- November 6th-8th at Sunnyside MSC at 9314 Cullen Blvd 77051
CompuCycle is an R2 and ISO 14001:2004 certified, EPA recognized, responsible electronics recycling company providing safe, secure and certified recycling and data destruction to Houstonians. CompuCycle focuses on refurbishing equipment for resale, reuse of components, and environmentally responsible electronic recycling solutions for businesses and consumers. CompuCycle strives to provide safe, secure and responsible electronic recycling to protect the environment and ensure that the customer’s product is managed properly throughout the entire process.